Memorandum for Clients – Special Advice for Name Changes

Penny has gone through this process in 2017, changing her name from Penny Robe Phillips, and restoring it to Penny R. Robe. After your name is changed in a divorce decree or a name change order, please contact the following agencies and companies to determine what you need to do to change your information on their records:
  • Social Security Administration –;
  • Texas Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Division – generally, you will be required to go in person with a certified copy of the order changing your name;
  • Credit card companies;
  • Insurance - vehicle, home, life, and so forth;
  • Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040;
  • Mortgage holders;
  • Utilities on your residence;
  • State licensing agencies.
Because many of the others will require the driver’s license change or social security number change before they will modify their records, we suggest you contact the Social Security Administration and the Department of Public Safety Driver’s License Division first.
There was no time limit for doing these things, however, DPS now says that the order must be dated within 30 days from when you're requesting it. If it's already been more than that, I recommend getting a newly certified copy from from the clerk's office, and pointing out that date. Once you've changed your name with social security, tax returns need to be filed in your new name. If you haven't changed your name with social security when it is time to file your tax return, then file your tax return under your former name.
If you need additional certified copies of the court order changing your name, you can get these from the district clerk in the county where the court order came from. 





Copyright 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 Robe Law Firm.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.  Robe Law Firm (formerly known as Phillips Law Firm), a professional corporation, provides the full range of legal services to clients who want strategic advice and practical solutions. Client Payment Options ~ Invoice Payment Link

Credit Card Logos for Your Web Site

Robe Law Firm | 1800 Preston Park Boulevard | Suite 245 | Plano | Texas | 75093 | | (972) 861-0126


  Site Map